Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Hang Gliding and Holding On

Today I was sitting at my computer, working on our newsletter contacts before we head back to Thailand when in walked my granddaughter Sydrah. She has the week off from school so is spending it with us. My husband and I are trying to get in as much time with her as possible--holding on to that contact that we will miss in the future.

She had spent the last half an hour in the other room working on some sort of craft. She asked for paper and tape--then for crayons. I heard her cutting with scissors and then towards the end she came into the dining room and took a few toothpicks from the toothpick holder beside the table where I was working. I was curious. What WAS she doing in there?

A few minutes later she walked into the room with her finished creative work: a paper hang glider complete with a little paper person taped to the straps under the glider. She had also taped three toothpicks to one wing as control sticks. She sailed it proudly to me and around the room.

"Ooooo, a hang glider," I say. "That's cool. What made you think of making that?"

"Hmm. I don't know. Just me," she says matter-of-factly.

"With even a little person flying under it. Is that you?" I ask.

"No, it's you," she says and then she turns the corner and is gone.

I am hit by questions: Is that how she sees me? Brave enough and young enough to be a hang gliding grandma? A grandma that loves life enough to try such an extreme sport? That would take up the challenge? Well, if it is. then that makes me warm and happy inside. She has felt my love for adventure, for not necessarily following the norm, and for being my unique, quirky, even weird self.

Yes my beautiful granddaughter. It is how I want you to see me--thinking and living outside the box and facing the challenges of what that means whether here in Canada or on the other side of the world. And even though you may not understand now why your Papa and I are moving to a country far, far away, and you won't see us as much, I pray you will understand our hearts and the calling God has put within us to go and help those who don't know Jesus, who don't have God's Words of love written in their language. I pray that in your sadness, God will give you an understanding beyond your years to realize the importance of sharing God's love to all.

I love you my granddaughter and will hold on to you in my heart. And please know that even though I am excited about the future and new adventure, I am also sad to leave you behind. It will be one of the hardest things I will ever have to do.




3 comments:

Bobbi Junior said...

This brings tears to my eyes, Connie. What a wonderful peek into how Sydrah sees you! How glorious to be able to give her that image of who a woman in Christ can be!

As I was reading, I remembered one strong memory of my British Nana. I was 5 and I had a little red purse with a bell on it. I swung the purse to make the bell ring. "Put your arm down," she admonished me. "A lady never swings her purse." It was a very different time, a different world back then.

May you and Sydrah have many Skype visits when you're off in a far away land again!

Doug Inglis said...

This is exactly who you are! You provided this context for adventure to your 3 kids and now you are bequeathing it to your grandchild(ren).

~Rain``` said...

A beautiful piece for your granddaughter. We too love your adventurous spirit. You will be missed by many, but we are grateful that you are following the call of our Father to spend the Good News to all.